2016 5th China Shanghai International Modern Pot Art Biennale
(2016 World Pot Artists Committee Shanghai Summit Forum)
Introduction to the Biennale
Every November in 2008, 2010, 2012, and 2014, pot artists from the United States, Italy, India, Mexico, Japan, France, Canada, Israel, Spain, the Czech Republic, Australia, Netherlands, Latvia, Switzerland, Brazil , Peru, Russia, Bolivia, Argentina, Austria, Chile, Denmark, England, Estonia, South Korea, Norway, New Zealand, South Africa, Venezuela, Costa Rica, Singapore, Indonesia, Ukraine, Taiwan and other countries (regions) gathered by the beautiful Huangpu River in Shanghai, shared their wits and skills and benefited each other in their artistic and creative pursuits.
During the Biennale, artists from home and abroad visited higher educational institutes, such as the Shanghai Institute of Visual Art, where they held seminars for teachers and students majoring in ceramic art discussing technical topics such as burning. Artists also made a special trip to Ge Jun Ceramic Art Studio and the International Modern Pot Art Museum in Yixing for a series of ceramic art exchange activities.
The International Modern Pot Art Biennale has become a platform for artists from across the world to showcase their artistic achievements. It is now also a signature event with exotic ceramic art styles in the Capital of Arts - Shanghai.
Highlights of the 2016 Biennale
1. The Biennale in 2016 continues to upgrade its professional evaluation panel, having invited the Chairman of International Academy of Ceramics, Unesco NGO, Professor Jacques Kaufmann, to work as the President of the professional panel. The other 7 members of the panel are: Antonella Cimatti (Italian, member of World Craft Council and its European branch), Rolando Giovannini (member of US National Ceramic Art Education Committee and Professor of Accademia di Belle Arti di Brera in Arts and Crafts in Italy), David Zimbron (professional ceramist from Mexico), Karen Gundeman (Professor from Arts Department of University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee), Christopher Davis Benavides (ceramist from the US), Jolanda Verdegaal (professional ceramist from Netherland) and Ge Jun
2. Besides the 40 pot artists from across the globe, for the first time 10 Chinese pot art masters will be invited.
3. At the Biennale, latest masterpieces from well-known artists will be presented as well as works of young Chinese ceramic designers in a special exhibition zone. Ceramic artists from home and abroad will communicate at the summit and seminars.
4. Holographic 3D equipment will be used for the first time.
5. A series of social welfare events will be held during the Biennale, including charity sale and family’s ceramic time.
Sponsor: Leaders’ Office of Shanghai Municipal Creative and Culture Industry Enhancement, Shanghai Museum of Arts and Crafts, Shanghai Arts and Crafts Association
Undertaker: Shanghai Taorenge Pottery Co., Ltd.
Curator: GE Jun
Co-sponsor: Chinese Culture Research Center Zisha Ceramic Cultural Institute, Shanghai Institute of Visual Art, Jingdezhen Ceramic Institute, East China Normal University School of Design, Tongji University College of Design and Innovation, Shanghai University Fine Arts College
Industry support: China Arts and Crafts Industry Association
Shanghai ceramic artists association
PR and Marketing support: ETHICS Consulting
Media support: Xinmin Evening News, Wen Wei Daily, Jiefang Daily, Youth Daily, Shanghai Morning Post, Oriental Daily News, First Financial Daily, Shanghai Daily, Youku Tudou, Shanghai Television Arts and Humanities channels, Shanghai TV Foreign Languages Channel, Dragon TV, Eastday, Sina, Jiefang, Shanghai News, Sohu, IFENG, Xinmin, Xinhua and so on.
Exclusive online exhibition on the official website of Shanghai International Modern Pot Art Exhibition Center
Details of the Biennale
1. The Biennale will take place during December2 – December 6, 2016
2. The Biennale will take place at Shanghai Museum of Arts and Crafts (No.79 Fenyang Road, Shanghai) Shanghai International Modern Pot Art Exhibition Center(No.317 Wuning South Road, Shanghai)
3. Articles for display: 200 works of ceramic art
The list of works for display will be posted on the official website of Shanghai International Modern Pot Art Exhibition Center by October 30, 2016.
4. 100 works of art will be selected by the panel from all items for display, and they will be displayed at Shanghai Museum of Arts and Crafts and Shanghai International Modern Pot Art Exhibition Center. Creators of these works will be invited to the opening ceremony.
Guests on special invitation: The hosting organization of the Biennale will see to expenses of flights to Shanghai and accommodations in Shanghai for artists who have been invited to the opening ceremony. Upon agreements between both parties, each artist donates two pieces of his/her own works to and Shanghai International Modern Pot Art Exhibition Center.
5. Application to exhibition
5.1 Every applicant should submit no more than 4 items for display. For each item (package), the applicant should fill out an application form.
5.2 Each applicant should carefully fill out the application form and submit a personal CV within 100 words (electronic copy), one HD digital photocopy of his/her work for publication purpose and one professional photo of the artist himself/herself. All documents should be sent to designated email address（firstname.lastname@example.org）by October 28, 2016. Please make your own copies of these documents.
5.3 The photos for publication purpose should be in jpg/gif format, with resolution of 300-350 dpi. For every work, applicant must make sure that the creator’s name, the work’s name, specification, material, burning temperature and year are indicated.
6. Selecting procedure and responsibilities
1. The panel will go through a preliminary screening after it has received all application forms. Those who don't make the first round will be notified.
2. Artists who have been selected for display will be notified through email or the list will be posted on the official website by the end of October.
3. Artists who are invited to the opening ceremony shall bring the items for display themselves to Shanghai by December 2, 2016. They should be responsible for carrier fees and insurance, if any. The undertaker will see to compensations for the flights to Shanghai and accommodations in Shanghai. Upon agreements between both parties, each artist donates two pieces of his/her own works to and Shanghai International Modern Pot Art Exhibition Center.
4. The undertaker will be responsible for marketing, planning and publication for the Biennale.
7. Contact us
Address: No. 317, Wuning South Road, Shanghai (Organizing Committee of Shanghai International Modern Pot Art Biennale)
Tel：86 21 52562133 Fax：86 21 52562511
Contact person： ZHANG Jing, ZHANG Dawei